Sing, Spell, Read & Write, Kindergarten/Level 1 Combo KitThis multi-sensory, sequenced curriculum uses fun songs, interactive charts, games, readers, and workbooks to teach homeschooled students how to spell, read, and write. Covering two years' worth of language arts instruction, thirty-six steps divided between Kindergarten (15 steps) and Grade 1 (21 steps) cover the alphabetic principle, phonics, sound/letter correspondence, short vowel sounds, blending, and eventually how to read single and short-vowel words.
Younger students begin with the Grade K workbooks, All Aboard and On Track, which feature larger print and fewer exercises. All Aboard includes coloring, cut-and-paste, tracing, and circling exercises to help children develop phonemic awareness, letter recognition, manuscript writing, visual & auditory discrimination, and other readiness skills. On Trackfeatures matching, tracing, drawing, fill-in-the-blank, and other exercises to help children develop systematic phonics, vocabulary, reading, and comprehension abilities. Six "Phonetic Storybook" kindergarten readers are filled with fun illustrations that will hold students' attention as they read the simple sentences that reinforce the lessons.
Grade 1 students will use the Off We Go workbook, which includes follow-the-dots, coloring pages, and tracing exercises that teach letter recognition, sequencing, auditory discrimination, cutting & pasting, and phonemic awareness. The second Grade 1 book, Raceway, has fill-in-the-blank, matching, and writing exercises to help children develop their understanding of systematic phonics, vocabulary, spelling, manuscript writing, comprehension, and grammar. The seventeen Level 1 Readers provide the practice and confidence-building students need to become fluent, independent readers.
The Assessment Book includes 17 book-end assessments for the Phonetic Storybook Readers and 3 achievement tests that assess your students' word comprehension, word recognition, and story & sentence comprehension.
Teacher instructions are provided for kindergarten in the K Instructor's Directions for the K/Level 1 Combo Kit Pamphlet, which provides a 4-page overview of the program's Level K components. The Instructor's Manual for Level 1 is much more detailed, and includes goals, suggested pacing, materials needed (with page numbers), procedures with semi-scripted instructions, phonics songs and games, and a written spelling test. An answer key is also provided.
This Sing, Spell, Read, and Write K/Level 1 Combo kit includes:
- SSRW Instructor's Manual, Level 1, 224 pages, softcover
- All Aboard Student Book, 221 pages, softcover
- On Track Student Book, 144 pages, 2nd Edition
- Off We Go Student Book, 112 pages, softcover, 2nd Edition
- Raceway Book Student Book, 192 pages, 2nd Edition
- Assessment Book, 17 assessments and 3 achievement tests, softcover
- SSRW Kindergarten Level Readers 1-6, 2nd Edition, 8.25" x 5.25" each.
- SSRW Storybook Readers 1-17, 2nd Edition
- Phonics Songs for Level 1 Audio CD (17 tracks)
- 1 Instructional DVD: Edition 2, Level 1 for Home Study & Tutoring; 1 hr, 9 min.
Considering the approach, ease of use, content, child-appeal, benefits, effectiveness and cost Sing, Spell, Read & Write is a great choice for personal use. Here are some of the reasons why:
- The "raceway" theme is very appealing and motivating to children, who love tracking their success via race car around a track as they complete the 36 steps to independent reading.
- The songs are contagious - children will sing and sing and learn their letter sounds, long and short vowel sounds, blending vowels and consonants, and digraphs almost effortlessly - and enjoy it!
- The 17 phonetic, full-color storybooks cover all 36 steps, providing immediate, rewarding reinforcement for the decoding skill just learned.
- The games are not just fluff, but real fortification of phonetic skills. They are more fun, however, if you can play with more than one child.
- The step-by-step instructor's manual provides easy-to-follow directions for all lessons. It will aid you in understanding/teaching the phonics program - and give you the confidence to do it!
- Included is a complete, phonetic spelling program dove-tailing with the phonetic constructs being learned and a complete handwriting program (ball and stick manuscript).
- Two workbooks include grammar and creative writing as well as letter recognition, sequencing, phonemic awareness, phonics practice, manuscript writing, reading, comprehension and spelling.
- Phonics songs are all featured on CD
- The two workbooks and the assessment book included in the set are the only consumables in the program. These are also available separately if you are teaching additional students.
- The prizes have been eliminated from the program (although the empty Treasure Chest is still included in this level). However, this provides parents an opportunity to provide their own prizes that they know will motivate their student.
Vendor: Pearson Learning
Dimensions: 6 X 13 X 19 (inches)
Series: Sing, Spell, Read & Write