The student book for Comprehension Plus Level A provides explicit instruction and practice of the comprehension skills students need to understand written text. Each lesson begins with direct instruction of each skill and is followed by opportunities for students to apply and transfer the skill to a meaningful context. Comprehension Plus study skills, vocabulary, phonics/word study, and writing connections add up to improved test scores and classroom performance. Level A is recommended for 1st grade reading instruction.
Product Name: Comprehension Plus Book A Student
Publisher: Savvas Learning Company formerly Pearson Education - Modern Curriculum Press
2011 Copyright: ISBN-13: 9781428427013
(This is a direct substitute for the out of print 2002 copyright: Isbn-10: 0765221802 / Isbn-13: 9780765221803)
The teacher edition which is sold separately will build a lesson around the targeted comprehension skill:
- Include carefully sequenced instruction of the focus skill in each lesson plus review of previously taught skills.
- Provide helpful teaching tips.
- Drive instruction with step-by-step mini-lessons.
- Reinforce the reading-writing connection.
- Help assess student progress in comprehending the text.
- Support students' diverse needs with a variety of activities.
- Contains tests, answer keys and Graphic Organizer blackline masters.
MCP Comprehension Plus - Grade 1
The ability to glean information from reading a text is called comprehension. As a child learns to read, he or she should also develop comprehension skills. That way, the child will walk away from the assignment with plenty of knowledge and be able to answer questions about what he or she just read. Of course, like any other skill, comprehension requires practice. For this reason, you may consider adding comprehension to your school program lineup.
Modern Curriculum Press (MCP) Comprehension Plus is a curriculum that helps the child grasp the important strategies he or she will need to use to comprehend written texts. With direct instruction, hands-on activities, and opportunities for both reading and writing, MCP Comprehension Plus is the perfect guide for both teacher and student.
The program is structured to help students understand the concepts introduced. Using the teacher's guide, you'll be able to create lessons that begin with subject-matter instruction. Once you introduce the basics of the lesson to the student, you can help him or her solidify the ideas through practice. This is where activities come into play. Students will have to use his or her newfound skills to complete reading and writing assignments.
You can use MCP Comprehension Plus in conjunction with other programs for Reading, Spelling (such as MCP Spelling Workout) and Phonics (MCP Plaid Phonics). Doing so will give your students a well-rounded English/language arts education.
By the time students complete Grade 1, he or she should be able to:
- Answer questions about a book or story he or she read.
- Reread stories to increase reading speed.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the information he or she read by creating a picture or diagram.
- Discuss the plot, characters and events about which he or she read.
By using MCP Comprehension Plus: Grade 1, you can accomplish these and other goals.